LumberJocks

Bedroom desk

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by mIps updated 06-02-2014 08:20 PM 4 parts 3912 reads 1 comment total

Part 1: Staining

05-24-2014 07:06 PM by mIps | 0 comments »

My neighbors lent me a desk for a while and, although I didn’t use it a lot (it was a bit small), I did like having it in my room. Since they took it back for their son to use, I’ve really missed having it. So I am going to attempt to build a replacement. I am using the writing desk from WWMM as a template. The sides and back are a glue-up of construction grade 3/4 ply and 5mm ply that I had from previous projects. the center spine is a glue-up of 2 pieces of 5/8” ply. The...

Read this entry »


Part 2: It's got legs...

05-30-2014 07:52 PM by mIps | 0 comments »

I finally decided to taper the legs for the desk. A picture of my tapering jig One of the legs All four, done. you can see the color differences in the legs made from two different woods. I’m not too worried about it, though, as I plan on putting the 2 pine legs on the back of the desk where they’ll be seen less. Gluing the front block onto the middle assembly. I guess the plywood that I used was actually 5/8 or 11/16 as its not quite as wide as the bot...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Assembly

05-31-2014 06:32 PM by mIps | 1 comment »

Well assembly is now firmly under way. Adding 1/8” facing to the inside of the center spine so it’s flush with the bottom rail and center post. Here’s the carcase, glue is drying on the facings, but otherwise assembled. YAY! First pair of drawer slides installed. Adding the edge banding to the top. this is what you do when your longest clamps aren’t long enough…

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finishing (not done)

06-02-2014 08:20 PM by mIps | 0 comments »

Today I got the drawers built for the desk. I would have liked to have used some good quality 1/2 ply for the drawer sides but I couldn’t find any, so I used a 1/4 sheet of OSB that I got from a construction site. I put another 1/4 sheet of OSB for a temporary work table so I could more easily coat the legs. I also made and put on the edge banding on the desk top. Sadly, all my polyurethane went solid to the point were it was unusable. But, apparently, at some point in the ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com