Started assembling the replacement cart for the jointer today. It went pretty well. I tried the technique of making a shallow saw kerf and then slicing it off to make a rabbet. This was the first time I’d tried that technique and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I was super happy. Ive watched videos of people doing this and they always used 1/8” spacer bars to offset the piece. I just lined op the piece with the INSIDE of the blade, then used a cutoff as a spacer and made the kerf. Perfect. :D I also cobbled together what will be the chip chute out of scraps. This also went really well but I still need to seal it.
Things that did NOT go well:
I overlooked / forgot that the belt for the motor come into the back of the jointer in between the body of the jointer and the “outrigger” for the fence. I have an idea of what to do about it but I still and not happy that I overlooked it or forgot about it.
I did not get a shelf out of the wood I had. I really want one to go in the cart for storage but just didn’t have the material for it. Maybe I can cobble something together.
When I was putting the caters on, one of the mounting blocks split. Poo!
This new cart uses about 80% of the floor space of the mobile base it came with ( I know that doesn’t seem like a lot of difference but, trust me, every square inch counts), it will have storage where the stand did not, It’s about 500% easier to move and will have a chip chute where the stand just threw them all over the floor. I’m looking forward to having it done!
-- Be honest, honorable, kind, work hard, and generally be awesome.