I was able to come up with a chunk of melamine-coated particle board for the sides and top, so I decided to use that. I knew I didn’t want the unit to be real tall because I plan on using it on my bench top or on top of one of my rolling cabinets (once I get those done). With this in mind, and knowing roughly the size of my jig saw, I decided on 10”x10” sides and a 12”x12” top. I figured this would give me a decent sized work surface without being too big or heavy to haul around if needed.
Luckily the melamine I got had one truly finished edge and I used that first for my top. I “ripped” the piece 12” wide and then cross-cut to 12” giving me my top cut to size.
I then used the remaining bits and was able to get the three sides out of that. All pieces cut!
Since this was basically going to be a “quick and dirty” solution, I just butted the front to the sides and ran a couple of screws to hold it all together. Looking at my jigsaw:
You can just see there is a ridge along the bottom where the foot attaches and allows it to pivot.
Sadly, it also reduces the depth of cut by about 1/2” as well and I knew I would not want that when using shorter, finer blades. I also knew that I would NOT want to remove the top to change blades.
Knowing this, I set up a couple of straight edges along the sides and routed out a 9/16” wide x 1/2” deep groove right up the center of one surface of the top to allow the ridge to sit in.
I also routed a square hole in the opposite surface and then cut out the center (like you would for a router table insert). I set the router bit depth to the same as a piece of 1/4” plywood that I have available so I can use that to fill the hole and have the depth be just right.The hole still needs a bit of clean up and to have the corners squared but, so far, so good.
-- Be honest, honorable, kind, work hard, and generally be awesome.