So I want to build some rolling drawer cabinets to go under my workbench. I want them to be fairly easy to move so I can double-use them as worktables and, hopefully, in feed and out feed for my tablesaw. I know, right?
I have the carcasses built and I am reasonably happy with them. My problem is the drawers. My first thought was to just butt-join them together but I wanted something better than that, so I Decided to try to make finger joints. This was a miserable failure. My router (see other blog entry) is fair at best so I couldn’t really use it and I do not have and cannot afford a dado stack. So I decided to try to be clever.
I took a piece of 1”x3/4”x24” edge molding and sawed it down to 1”x3/8”x24” and proceeded. I build a sled to ride against the fence, set my blade to 1/2 high and cut one side of the groove with my best saw blade. Inserted my spacer between the fence and the sled and cut the other side of the groove. I then proceeded to hog out the middle of the groove making successive passes over the blade.
In theory, including the width of the blade, this gave me a 1/2” wide, 1/2” deep groove.
In practice, this gave me everything BUT that. I don’t think I got one single groove that was actually 1/2” by 1/2”.
So, now I’m rethinking the whole finger joint thing but I am not sure what else to do. GRRR.
-- A lack of money forces you to find creative solutions to problems you wouldn't have otherwise.