When I ordered the BenchCrafted hardware I also ordered the hardware for the Moxon vise. Not only was I inspired by BrandonW’s bench but also his Moxon vise. So, it has been sitting in my shop for about nine months.
Brandon’s Moxon Vise
The plan is to make a Moxon Vise Bench-top Bench because when I doing fine work I find myself slumping over for extended periods of time. That kind of zaps the fun of it after a while. Furthermore, I admit to being spoiled when comes to have a perfect working environment. It is always 70 degrees and 50% humidity and two bright articulating lights. When I need the table height adjusted, I just say “table up” and some one else makes the adjustments. Yep, I admit it I am spoiled.
Overall the design comes the BenchCrafted pdf. Mine design is 1 1/2” taller @ 7 1/2” because, for detail work, it is recommended that the working height is hand level with your elbows bent 90 degrees. The final working height is a bit over 42” from the floor.
Table structure comes from examples here LJ’s and BenchCrafted.
I do like the idea of beveling the front chop like Brandon did to allow more clearance while sawing. Schwarz provides a good example but I plan to shape mine differently to match the chop on my leg vise.
Instead of buying new lumber I decided to re-purpose the “unwanted” dining room table that faithfully served as my previous workbench. This was the last picture of it in its old position.
However, this table is made of clear, hard maple and my workbench consists unclear, soft maple. That said, I decided to fashion the front chop from some left over sticks from the Roubo bench build. This way the most visible aspect of the vise will tie into the Roubo bench design.
I wanted to use this board but with all its defects it is approaching firewood status.
I found another and cut it to length, edge jointed it and glued it.
*Side Note: I abandoned my oil stones and brought out my 1000/8000 water stone. Man, what a difference. It is probably my fault but I just couldn’t achieve a sharp edge on my A2 irons with the oil stones. Bummer.
I jointed a reference edge on the table top and cut the pieces at the table saw and miter saw.
For the bench top, i could just squeeze out the square dimensions from the curve. Unfortunately the cuts were centered right on the previous dowel holes. So shifted the layout to cut out one hole and decided to plug the other.
Off to make a 3/8” dowel.
For the bench top I scraped the old, yellowed finish and then smoothed her down. Unfortunately my was #112 was delivered to work and I want get until tomorrow.
Now the pieces are all milled and cut to size and should go to something like this.
Thanks for taking a look.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali