Every bench needs some bling. Check this.
It is all in the way we accessorize.
I have used a holdfast in my deadman and it works OK but I wanted a more controlled clamping mechanism. Thus, inspired by Smitty, I bought a Stanley #203 from Patrick Leach. THis requires some modifications to the deadman. First, the #203 requires a 1” hole where mine were 3/4”. Also, the depth of the hook is 7/8” where as my deadman is 1 1/2” thick.
This makes me nervous. Re-drilling a row of holes.
Routing the back. Note that my first pass was to deep and I had to “repair” it by gluing in a 1/8” shim.
My bench weighs exactly a bejeezus load. I have a small shop and WILL need to move it from time to time. Thus, I gots me some rimz. My neighbor does metal fabrication and he made these brackets from a sketch. The casters are from Lowe’s.
They ended up being a bit too big so I sawed them down with a hacksaw, beveled off the sharp corners and drilled a new hole.
I did a test fit and run on my sacrificial, pine, leg mock-up.
I really like Derek Cohen’s idea of using a guide bracket to dampen the play in parallel guide. It also limits racking. However, it is not a perfect fit and allows about 1/16” of play.
Before when you spin the hand wheel bringing the chop rapidly in or out the chop gave that clunck, clunck, clunck as the inertia of your hand shakes the chop back and forth. That is eliminated. It is a small thing but results in a much smoother operation.
Making the bracket….....
Employed the technique used through out the rest of the bench. Drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/4” -20 hex head screw.
The plan calls for leather on the chop and the corresponding face of the bench top. However, in my semi-military mind, this compromises this clamping plane of the leg and benchtop the we have worked so hard to achieve. Thus, I put suede only on the chop using spray adhesive.
Back to the dogs. I decided to make the longer dogs as per the plan. They just work better than the short dog.
- To the galoots out there. If I can avoid pulling out, hooking up, and setting up my jointer, planer, and chop saw I will.
I had a scrap wide enough to get dogs out of each piece.
Milled to thickness with a jack and smoother…................
The prototype dog was traced out and I let the dogs out using the band saw. A little finish, brass screws and leather. Bling yo!
Note to self: an impact wrench will rip the head off a brace screw – illustrated for remembrance.
The final fit of the dog in the bench top…......
While I am at it, I decided to trick out the holdfasts. I used two pieces of cardboard to form a “templet” to conform to the contour of the tip.
A sticker on the wagon vise…...
and one on the chop.
And with that – this bench is complete.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali