Before attaching the top a few things need to be done. First I dont have any pics of the final shavings or breaking the edges. Obviously I need to makes some mortises.
These were accomplished by router and squared off by chisel. The one closest to the wagon vise required a little more work.
Next, I routed the slot for the deadman. The plan called for the slot to be 1 1/2” deep the whole lenght but I only did that for the 8” next to the left leg. The rest of the slot is only 1” deep. Check this out. I have learned a lot during this build and now a fully understand that I take too deep of bites withe router. It creates a lot of heat…...
A whisp of smoke
and a burning ember
Put a coat of wax on while the slot is presented
Finally the dog hole of the front left leg needs access through the tenon.
Just a cool pic that illustrates the mass of the elements
The upside down test fit is pretty good but I was not happy how the left leg fit. It sat about a 1/32” back from the front face of the top. To get them flush I’d have to plane the entire face of the top. Instead I enlarged the mortise forward and glued a spacer in the back to keep it solid. This allows me to barely shave the leg flush to the top which is much easier.
Finally, moved the bench out into some better light for some “glamor shots.”
The list of things to do is getting smaller….................thanks for checking out the progress.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali