There a lot of items that are much easier to accomplish prior to glue-up.
First, I need some 3/8” cherry pegs. I went with cherry to keep the visual contrast subtle. Another thing is I let my kids make some pegs and write their name on them. During glue-up I let them drive their respective pegs in the give them a sense of ownership.
All these were made from scrap and were sized down to ~ 7/16” on the band saw. Then the corners were chamfered with a block plane. I made this litttle V grooved jig to help.
The bottom stretchers have a 3/8” dado to in which a ledger is glued into to support the bottom shelf. I felt a little galooty. I took a cut off that would allow me to get 2 pieces off of each side. First I four squared it.
Once squared up, I broke out the skewed rabbet plane and created a 1/8” rabbet. The first pic I actually posted as a random shot but realized, after scrutinizing the pic, that I was way caddie-whompus. I fixed it but then the rabbet was too deep. Finally I got it. Did the same operation on the other side and ripped it with the table saw.
This little operation was much harder than it should have been.
I forgot to drill the stretchers for the draw-bore. So, I re-assembled and checked my marks. After drilling I “counter-sunk” the entry side just to ensure that the peg doesn’t get hung up.
I finally committed to a bench height of 34 1/2” inches. Thus I cut -off another 1/2” inch from the legs. I think this is the 4th time I’ve cut these bastards.
These pics are from a couple weeks ago. So, about that time Smitty was putting his skirt on as I was shaving my legs. Also, I took the time to break the edges and file the hole edges.
Not a lot a pics from the glue-up. I really like the draw-bore technique. I only used a 1/16” offset and it went flawlessly.
Thanks for looking.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali