In the last blog the tenons were complete and I trimmed the extra “margin of safety” length. It takes two passes with the miter saw. So I shaved off the inevitable irregularities.
Next is routing the mortises. Marc (TWW) demonstrates doing this free hand and makes it look easy I might add. Routing is always a tense affair for me but I give it a go. Nice results huh?
I want to make sure the dimensions and placement are correct so I went through the trouble of fixing this mistake. Truth is I really wanted to use a dowel plate.
In the end, when I went back for the second pass the next day and the little repair piece ripped out. Oh well. Things went much better after I set up some stops. Have I mentioned that cherry burns easily?
The legs sat like this for a week. Then another week. Then another week. Finally, I drilled a large 1 1/4” inch hole in the right front leg for access to a dog hole. Wierd but that is the plan. In the same leg I bored three holes for the holdfast. First, I counter-bored on the back at 1” for a depth of 1 1/2”. This will create an effective holdfast hole 3” deep.
Then the front 3/4” holes were drilled.
Interestingly, when I tested my holdfasts for the very first time, both of the blacksmithed ones held like champs. however, the grammercy one did not hold at all. Maybe I need to de-wax them and scuff ‘em up with sandpaper.
The 3/8” holes for the draw bore pins are drilled as well. The legs are done with the exception of the left front leg, that one will get lots of love during the leg vice build.
Thanks for checking out the progress.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali