These are all steps that I completed in the last week. I am getting ready to dive into 12 days straight at work then out of town the next. Progress slows.
I wanted to get the dovetail and top completed before now but it didn’t happen. I am nervous to have these pieces milled up to final dimensions and them sitting around for days and days.
Note on design: It turns out that the cheapest soft maple I could buy has wonderful character with the Ambrosia worm holes. But this is not the place to show off grain and figure. If I did the overall look to the bench would be too busy. So for every step of the way I have chosen the more clear surface for display. Its disappointing really but I think the final overall composition of the bench will benefit.
During the last few steps I have relied heavily on Marc’s videos. I can just imagine how time, material and heart ache they have saved me. Some may poo-poo the instruction but fortunately for others I did not learn my own vocation by “figuring it out.” There is nothing wrong with instruction. It just turns out that my shop teacher is on the internet.
Laying out for the routing. The template and the routing. Not much more to say.
In order to maintain alignment I clamped, pre-drilled, and placed screws for later removal.
After glue up, I cut the dog block away using my trusty D-8 (that’s the best $6 I’ve ever spent) cuz the kids are asleep.
I clamped it in place to see how it will look.
The basic placement of the dog block, the screw, and the cavity. Oh, and if anyone wants to make an offer on the garage sale reject – Go ahead.
I got a lot of burning during the routing. I don’t know enough to avoid this. I changed my speed but it persisted.
It getting there…............
Thank you all for taking the time.
-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali