LumberJocks

Harbor Frieght Dust Collector Modification, or, not leaving well enough alone!

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by luv2learn updated 02-10-2015 07:26 PM 4 parts 13947 reads 59 comments total

Part 1: Tearing up a perfectly good (new) Harbor Frieght dust collector

02-02-2015 08:56 PM by luv2learn | 17 comments »

My shop has always been unorganized. Every time I would get a new tool I would just find an empty space and stick it in there. Well, now I don’t have anymore empty spaces so I am being forced into organizing. A proper dust collection system has always been on my to do list but until now I have settled for making due with my 3/4 HP Jet Dust Collector, a Thein separator, lots of flex hose, and a shop vac. I have been eying the 2hp Harbor Freight dust collector, model 97869, made...

Read this entry »


Part 2: My too cheap to buy homemade dust collector duct brackets

02-03-2015 02:17 AM by luv2learn | 14 comments »

So, now that I have the H.F. dust collector set up for better or worse, I need to run the duct work. But, before I can do that I need to decide how to mount the ducting. Again, being frugal, another word for cheap, I decided to make my own brackets with materials on hand. I had an 8’ 2×6 in my storage shed and 35’ of 3/4” wide Velcro I bought from Harbor Freight so this is what I came up with. I cut the 2×6’s into 5 3/8” squares. I laid out ce...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Dust Collection Barrel Modifications

02-09-2015 09:05 PM by luv2learn | 14 comments »

I am using a 44 gal. barrel for my dust collection, it measures 20” in dia. by 32” tall. Thanks to some of your suggestions, there were a couple things I decided to do to it to make it more user friendly. First, I made it mobile. This is my 24” dia. OSB base. I found these little ball bearing casters at Harbor Freight. Next, I added a plexi-glass inspection portal so I could visually gauge how full the barrel was getting. As always, than...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Good enough for now!

02-10-2015 07:26 PM by luv2learn | 14 comments »

I have created four zones, so to speak, for my D.C. upgrade. They are controlled with four 4” blast gates all located close together and close to the D.C. I will only use one zone at a time for maximum efficiency. I used a combination of D.C. fittings, blast gates, sheet metal fittings as well as sheet metal duct work. Now an explanation of the various zones. The first zone on the right is dedicated to my planer and later to my joiner once I get it modified. The second zone is...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com