This is my first new lathe, it is a “Central Machinery 12”x36 wood lathe sold by harbor Freight. Having very little lathe turning experience I have nothing to compare this lathe with. So far, I have not experienced any of the problems some of the reviewers who have bought this lathe from Harbor Freight have posted on the website. Two of the reasons I bought this particular lathe was that the overall reviews were positive, four stars out of five, and its price, $218.00 on sale, out the door, with a 25% off coupon, stand included.
Some of the first things I turned were pen blanks that I ordered from Penn State Industries. After turning a few blanks I noticed that the motor air intake was accumulating dust. This is because the back of the motor is adjacent too and right in back of the lathe head. Not an ideal design feature since over time the motor can become clogged with dust and burn out prematurely.
To solve this issue before it became a problem I designed a filter that fits over the back of the motor with materials on hand.
These are the materials I used: A 44oz. Yuban coffee can which happens to be 6” in diameter and fits snugly over the motor, some blanket furnace filter material, and spray adhesive.
The first thing I did was to measure and cut the empty can 4” from the bottom. I then removed the top metal portion of the can so that I could use it as an inside retaining ring for the filter material. I cut a relief slit in the remaining 3 1/4” portion of the can body and after spraying the outside of it with adhesive I inserted it into the 4” base to stabilize the walls. I held the insert even with the top of the base leaving approximately 3/4” of single wall at the bottom. I also cut a 5” diameter hole in the bottom of the can for air passage.
Using the can as a pattern I cut out two 6” dia. pieces of filter material and inserted them into the bottom of can. I then inserted the metal retaining ring I had cut previously from the top of the can to lock the filter material in place.
To finish the filter, I cut a 1” wide strip of filter material and glued it to the inside of the can at the top to act as a gasket.
That completes my homemade lathe motor filter. So far it has done its job well.
I will keep you all posted as to any other issues I might have with this lathe as I become more familiar with it. So far I like it.
Thanks for tuning in. I hope this was of some value. Actually, this could be done for any electric motor collecting dust in one’s shop.
-- Lee - Northern idaho~"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they ought to find you handy"~ Red Green