I assembled the box walls using hot hide glue rub joints. since I had a seamless fit, no clamps were used. I was going to shoot some brads for additional strength but decided against it. After it sat for a day, I could not pull this box apart as it was. Short of using a spreader or mechanical advantage, these joints were going nowhere.
I then measured and cut the MDF for the top and bottom. After cut, I veneered what was to be the inside. One with the walnut I sliced on the bandsaw and one with bubinga. As with the sides, I taped off areas that were to receive glue and put down the initial coat of finish
I then hot hide glued the top and bottom on with rub joints again. I didn’t use clamps but I did wrap it with painters tape as I did not want the pieces to shift. It worked and they fit perfectly.
After that dried, I started to veneer the outside. This was a lot more difficult than doing a single piece. I normally leave a decent sized (1/16”) overlap on the veneer and trim it after it sets. This was not possible. I bought an offset veneer saw which made much more accurate cuts.
I didn’t take any pictures during the process, because it was quite messy (literally, my hands were covered in glue). I wrapped some painters tape around my veneer hammer because it kept gluing itself to my hands.
Here is how it sits now:
The nice thing about sequenced matched veneer is with careful cuts I was able to match the grain all the way around. I still need to sand it down, but I am happy with the veneer for now. No bubbles and no curling edges.
Next time around I think I am going to miter the corners of the veneer.
-- Unplugged Woodworkers - https://www.facebook.com/groups/213418935481974/