Hammer veneering is something I played with recently and enjoyed. Unfortunitely I didn’t put any thought into the finished product and it came out like crap. I accomplished my goal of playing around with the tools and technique. I am kind of bored now and don’t want to start any big projects, so I figured I would make myself a little box.
I got some sequenced matched bubinga veneer from Woodcraft for about 9.00. I also picked up a quarter sheet of 1/2” MDF from home depot. In addition I wanted to see how thin I could resaw with my bandsaw. I got this piece of walnut to a little over 1/32”. I don’t think I will use it for this project as it is a little thick.
I snagged some of my wifes sewing stuff (shhhhh) and cut the veneer.
Next time to lay it out, soak it with water, and iron it flat
Then paint the substrate with some 192g BT&C hot hide glue. 90% of my trail and error last time around was getting the glue mix to the right consistency.
Then I laid my nice ironed veneer on top of the glued surface, and then painted it with glue. I learned this tip from Paul (Shipwright).
Then I peel the piece off, flip it over so the side I applied glue to is down, and apply it. I wet the top a bit then heat it with an Iron until it starts to move around. After I get it where I want it, I went to town with the veneer hammer
I think I may have went a little heavy on the glue. Someone with more experience can tell me. I did a good job of hammering though – lots of squeeze out and a nice solid, bubble-free fit. I cleaned the squeeze out with some really hot water on a rag.
I am by no means a hammer veneer expert, so take all of this with a grain of salt. If it comes out well, I will be happy.
-- Unplugged Woodworkers - https://www.facebook.com/groups/213418935481974/