Well, I got to help with the move itself which took me out of town for a day, and I didn’t have to stare at the still-drying letters all day! :-) When I got back, they were finally dry enough. So, after a good nap yesterday, to rest these old bones, I started by removing the tape and positioning the words on the sign.There’s still a little stick-um left from the tape on the bottom, and that helps after eyeballing them into place. They don’t slip and slide around. Since the words are actually fragments of letters I take them one at a time beginning with the longer portion “ebbie”, then “D”, “s” and so on, leaving the dot over the i and apostrophe until last. I am in no hurry at any time, but here in particular, this is real tweezer work!
The “Carcasses” of the letters have helped me in the sanding, the taping up before painting, and now help one last time with the glue up.
I’m just daubing the bottoms with a Q-tip out of a soda cap with glue, lifting the carcass off and gluing them on. Yeah, I know, Elmers?! Hey, it works as well as any I’ve tried, so long as it’s properly applied and for an appropriate use….Once the dot and apostrophe are applied, I press it with a little weight, my 25# former canoe anchor.
I left that to set overnight and resumed today. There were a few anxious moments when I removed the weight. The press board that I used between the sign and the anchor stuck to the new paint pretty well, but luckily the glue proved stronger than the stickiness of the paint. Whew!!
I’m a low-tech guy on this sort of thing and as I want the sign to hang flush on the wall, I’m simply going to drill a hole partway through the back to house a screw or nail. For this particular sign, I thought it might be fun to add a second hole so that the sign could also be hung askew. I had done that previously with the house numbers from my Grandparent’s home, a sign I wanted to resemble how they appeared on their house.
I marked for this hole by balancing the sign on a round surface (here an old broom handle held in place by that same old anchor)
At an “appropriately humorous” angle I marked where the broom handle contacted the sign, connected the two points with a line on the bottom, and drilled a hole along that line being VERY careful not to poke through! I just drilled and backed out until it looked good. Then I repeated the same steps for straight hanging. When the holes were drilled I also drilled at a slight angleto make it hold better.
And that’s it! Nothing left to do but add some Well Wishes, sign it, date it, and polyurethane the thing (and wait for that to dry!). It should be in the “Finished Projects” by the end of the weekend.
To anyone who’s followed this series, Thank You! I only became an on-line user less than two years ago, and wanted to try to improve my computer skills with this blog series, a first for me. I really did have a lot of fun sharing it with you! Michael C.
-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.