Finally got some free time today! Started out by deciding it was a great day to clean up around the Scroll Saw! And not only for the Camera! I’ve been looking at how small the dot is over the i and the apostrophe on this tiny sign I’m making and realized that when they fall out, I’ll never find them unless I police the area a little…
The other night I took a few minutes and went around and made pilots for where I’ll be drilling with an Awl.
It only takes 5-10 minutes on the front end, but saves a lot of time on the Drill Press. I won’t have to sight in each individual hole. It’s the only way to make a Cribbage Board or something! And it’s off to do some Drilling!
Here I’m halfway through this step. You’ll note I’m working backwards, starting with the last word first. That’s just a personal choice. I’ve found that when I go forward, I’m always keeping track of my progress. Like, 2 letters done, 5 more to go… When I do it this way, I’m not entangled in all that and the end of the cut out almost comes as a surprise!
That having been said, on this project I’m cutting out the first word first because I’m also a believer in the old adage that a farmer always plows the furthest field first, and “Debbie”s” got more going on than “Place”. After parting the two words
I begin by removing the insides of the closed loops.
As any scroll saw user will tell you, it’s a an inside out thing and that thinking has me first removing the dot and apostrophe then clearing the inside bottom of the loops between letters
It’s difficult to see, but all that’s left is a quick pass along the bottoms, and then freeing the letters by cutting the leading edge of all the letters. I take the time to tape each letter into position top and bottom after it’s been freed. That helps maintain the strength and integrity. Also, though I want these parts to fall out at the end, I don’t want them to FALL out! Which ultimately leads to this
Looks like it’s time to have an unveiling and after removing the screws and tape I find these:
It takes longer to tell this story and take photographs of the process than it actually does to do it! For instance, this took from about 8:30 until 11:15 this morning. The “Place” part took 20 minutes, because I didn’t think it necessary to repeat showing the same procedure. The next step is the Backer Board, but that’s a story for another day…. Michael C.
-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.