When we left this last, the box proper was all but done.
It’s time for the mundane, but important, little details. I’m sure the observant amongst you have noticed all the “bust outs” from when I used the table saw to mill slots for the top and bottom panels. You were probably LOL@ me! The next step addresses them.
I have a plethora of small, cut-out, leftover fingers
and begin by splitting them into approximate size with my little mini-froe; an old knife style paint chipper.
Then it’s a simple matter of sanding them, in much the same way as we used to create points on popsicle sticks when we were kids, until they fit.
Before you start ROTFL, consider this: this is exactly how it was done for centuries, before the invention of the router, or indeed electricity. The old-timers with their plow planes didn’t worry about “running out” the ends, because this was a planned step in the process anyway. This can be seen frequently in older house windows. Older window frames that rattle sometimes are caused by these tiny chinking blocks having fallen out, through the slamming of the window or simple shrinkage.
In any event, I apply the smallest dab of glue on these to increase my odds of them staying in place! After I’ve done a couple sides
I saw and file them flush, and go on to finish the last two sides…
Which leads to the last strictly building part of all this fun I’ve been having! I want to make some inserts to insure that the lid sits positively on the box, without sliding off. I don’t have anything thin and wide enough, other than ply, so I’m going to mill a lower riser and top it off. I still have a few scraps left of a nice thick slab of pine given to me by my Brother, and I’ll begin by drilling a mess of shallow holes along the cut line.
The reason for this becomes apparent after it’s sawn
This will give a scalloped effect to the topmost one.
I install these by simply measuring to length
This is not fine joinery!!! But I do want them to interlock and the technique is the same. I first mark the depths, using the pieces themselves
Then I scribble where I want to cut
And Voila! Interlocking Inserts!
This was the bottom riser set and I repeat the process with the “fancy” scalloped edged ones that I had prepared until, Presto!!
A little bit of clean up and final sanding and this is ready for the “finishing department”, which is located on the floor behind me… :)
-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.