Project 1? #2: Update project 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by lincster posted 05-22-2011 06:49 AM 626 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: New Project for DD Woodworking Class Part 2 of Project 1? series no next part

The participants decided on making either a chair or a garden bench. The garden bench looked easier and had less steps, fewer tools, etc. We used the plans from Outdoor Woodworking magazine. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate, so we got a late start. I cut and dimensioned the pieces using my table saw. The participants glued up the slats and legs and dimensioned them on the planer.

There were numerous safety lessons on using the planer, router, and router table (prior to each use). The participants used the router table to round over the edges of the slats as well as the legs. We used a home-made mortising jig and the router to make mortises in the legs. I cut the tenons on my table saw.

I made a pattern for the curved edges for the rails, supports and the stretcher. The participants used the pattern, a pattern bit and plunge router to create the curve on these pieces. The pieces were wider than the bit, so we had to cut from both sides.

I cut the dadoes for the two supports and for the stretcher on my table saw. The participants did a dry fit and everything seems to fit together OK. They then used exterior glue on all the mortises and tenons and clamped it all together. Figuring out where the wobble was (two legs slightly askew) was fun – as the glue dried.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics