Hey LJ, sorry for the delay between entries. I’ve been fairly pr-occupied recently but have taken lots of picture of the guitar!
Well, steam bending the sides of the guitar was a fairly difficult step in the process. I didn’t use the typical steaming method, but rather, I soaked the pieces under hot water for several minutes.
The sides are made of 3/32” thick Walnut. I bended the sides using a form made of laminated ply, in the shape of the sides. The heat was applied with a heating blanket that was clamped onto the form. It took several tries to get it right…..
Darn thing kept cracking on me, but eventually I got it! Trial and error eh?
After this I had to make the neck, and tail blocks. This was fairly simple in theory, but took a little fiddling to get just perfect. The tail block is made out of Yellow Cedar, and the neck block is made of Mahogany. After they were glued in place, I began to apply the kerfing strips. This was a fairly tedious step, but turned out beautifully!
For some reason I don’t have a picture of the vertical support brackets I put in, but just to give you an idea, they are a series of thin yellow cedar pieces running between the two sides of kerfing. They are there to further stabilize the thin sides.
Next entry for me will be involving the top and back of the guitar. Putting in the F holes and sealing the insides of both.
-- There's nothing like the feel of a wood shop.