LumberJocks

Split Top Bench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by laxbograt updated 03-10-2012 06:41 PM 5 parts 12758 reads 6 comments total

Part 1: And so it Begins.

02-10-2012 05:05 PM by laxbograt | 0 comments »

Well it happened, I finally got tired of looking at my PT monster of a workbench in my garage. I have been watching everyone posting pics of there new benches and finally decided I would take the plunge and put something together worth my time. So I put down all my plus and minuses and decided I am going to make a Split Top Roubo style woodworking bench. I am by nature frugal, my wife likes to says I’m just cheap but I digress, so I settled into the idea of using standard big box ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Planed, Squared and Tenoned

02-13-2012 03:32 PM by laxbograt | 2 comments »

Well it was a productive weekend. First I got the lumber for the legs eight 2×6’s they were pretty nice so I didn’t plane them, something in retrospect I wish I had, I just glued them and clamped them in two stacks of four. I then got the top unclamped, everything held together well. One thing I wanted to make sure was that the top was nice and flat so once again I pulled out my surface planner and slowly started evening the top and bottom. Once that happened they were ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Mortise #1 the Begining

02-14-2012 02:37 PM by laxbograt | 1 comment »

Well last night / this morning got started with the bench top mortises, all I can say is wow. I started by marking the hole on the back and front, I don’t want any blowout so I decided to to cut it halfway through and meet in the middle. I then got my brace and my new bits out so that I could get the majority of the wood cleared out. Unfortunately my new bits weren’t very sharp so I ended up just using a fostner bit for the job. Then I got to breakout my new Woodr...

Read this entry »


Part 4: It's ALIVE !!

02-27-2012 05:42 PM by laxbograt | 1 comment »

Well, Haven’t had a lot of time for updates, but have made some good progress on the bench. Got the large mortise and tenons done for the top,and added the spacers for the top to create the split aspect. Have to say it works as well as I expected keeping tools out of the way but within reach. I have already got half the tenons done for the stretchers, forgot to get a picture. So I figure my to do list is as follows: 1) Fine tune the top Mortises, I’...

Read this entry »


Part 5: It's Done ... Kind of.

03-10-2012 06:41 PM by laxbograt | 2 comments »

So Here’s My To Do list 1) Fine tune the top Mortises, I’m a little off square. Done 2) Finish the Tenons for the stretchers. Done 3) Make the Mortise for the stretchers. Done 4) Cut the V bottom for the Sliding Deadman bottom, and the long rabbit for the Deadman top. Done 5) Make the Sliding Deadman Done 6) Assemble with drawbore pins Done 7) Add Tail Vise and Leg Vise 8) Drill Dog Holes So As you can see I have made some good progress over the last few weeks...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com