LumberJocks

Split Top Bench #5: It's Done ... Kind of.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by laxbograt posted 03-10-2012 06:41 PM 1099 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: It's ALIVE !! Part 5 of Split Top Bench series no next part

So Here’s My To Do list

1) Fine tune the top Mortises, I’m a little off square. Done

2) Finish the Tenons for the stretchers. Done

3) Make the Mortise for the stretchers. Done

4) Cut the V bottom for the Sliding Deadman bottom, and the long rabbit for the Deadman top. Done

5) Make the Sliding Deadman Done

6) Assemble with drawbore pins Done

7) Add Tail Vise and Leg Vise

8) Drill Dog Holes

So As you can see I have made some good progress over the last few weeks.

I Finished Cutting the tenons.

I then made all of the mortises, I cut one of them entirely us my new Narex Mortise Chisels which was definitely more difficult and time consuming, but once again helped bring a better appreciation of the process.

I then realized I should probably cut the recess for the acme nut I had bought for my leg vise. I want the nut to be secure so I split one of the laminated boards off of one of the legs, I would love to say I planned this ahead of time but it worked out when I was “finessing” one of the tenons into the top mortises and the board came free. I drilled the hole so the it would just let the Acme thread fit through. I marked the nut and chiseled it out for the recess.

I then cut the two 45s for the of stretcher for the sliding deadman. I had to improvise a guide for my table saw since it is a right tilt only.

I then routed a long grove for the top of the deadman to slide in, sorry didn’t get a pic, I cut it using my router and a straight cutting bit.

I then cut the deadman to size and cut the large tenon for the top and the v grove for the bottom. I thankfully realized to do this before pinning everything, that would have complicated things.

I have to say at this point I was pretty depressed I dry fit all the joints and drilled everything for the drawpins but I noticed that the bench didn’t seem very rigid, granted I hadn’t actually pinned it yet I just thought it would be tighter. Thankfully once I put the drawpins in it pulled everything square and tight.

So here it is pretty much done.

I still have to:

1) Add Leg Vise

2)Decided to add an Apron Board to the ends to help keep everything symmetrical when I add the Tail Vise.

3) Add Tail Vise

4) Drill Dog Holes

And That’s it!!!

I have to say I have been able to use it a good amount already and I am very happy with my decision to make this bench it is going to make my life much easier.


Carlos
Rookie Woodworker



2 comments so far

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

957 posts in 2462 days


#1 posted 03-10-2012 07:29 PM

Nice truck!

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

View laxbograt's profile

laxbograt

76 posts in 1081 days


#2 posted 03-11-2012 11:12 AM

Thanks Max

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase