Well last night / this morning got started with the bench top mortises, all I can say is wow.
I started by marking the hole on the back and front, I don’t want any blowout so I decided to to cut it halfway through and meet in the middle.
I then got my brace and my new bits out so that I could get the majority of the wood cleared out. Unfortunately my new bits weren’t very sharp so I ended up just using a fostner bit for the job.
Then I got to breakout my new Woodriver chisel set, I don’t have any mortise chisels, and started beating it square. One word of warning make sure to clamp the boards together so you don’t end splitting your laminated seem apart.
Here is the semi-finished product, I started to fit them together but it need a little more room so i might adjust the cheeks a little.
Not to shabby for my first hand cut mortise.
Took me about an hour total, 1/4 done with the top mortises.
Any suggestion or tricks I should know on how to improve my through mortises would be great.
PS I forgot to Update my running total, the lumber for the legs cost me $32 apparently the woman at Lowes couldn’t count and charged me for 7 not 8 boards. Bonus!!