Well it happened, I finally got tired of looking at my PT monster of a workbench in my garage. I have been watching everyone posting pics of there new benches and finally decided I would take the plunge and put something together worth my time.
So I put down all my plus and minuses and decided I am going to make a Split Top Roubo style woodworking bench.
I am by nature frugal, my wife likes to says I’m just cheap but I digress, so I settled into the idea of using standard big box store lumber for the bench.
So a few nights ago I had to go pick up some plumbing supply’s at the HD and I decided lets do it. I had a day off coming and figured time to mark something off the list.
So after spending nearly an hour going through there “premium” 2×4’s I found 17 I liked / were usable. Just enough for the top.
Here is the haul:
So I would love to say I spent hour after hour making these shavings with my #5 Stanley, but that would be a lie… lately my time has been at a premium so I fed them through my Rigid planner and prepared everything while my kids were down for a nap.
Then I matched all the board for the end grain and started gluing everything together. I used a plastic scrapper to make sure there was a nice thin even distribution of glue between the boards. Went a little clamp crazy making sure everything was nice and tight, when else do I get to use so many of my clamps at once.
Anyway that’s it for now, I have to buy the wood for the legs tonight, I am thinking of laminating 2×6’s to make 5×5, but that’s a problem for later. Hopefully I can make some headway this weekend.
Thought I would keep a running total of cost as I was going along. So far I am only out around $50 in wood, I already had the glue i used, but I bought a gallon of Titebound at $15 just in case, and I bought $3 worth of Plastic scrappers so all told I am about $68 in.