Well I got some antique tools for Christmas this year one of them was a Lakeside Brace.
Here are the steps to the process I used.
1) I started by disassembling everything as much as possible.
2) Gave everything I could a nice bath in Evap O Rust overnight, couldn’t quite get all the way to the middle hand section, but it did wonders on everything it touched.
3) I wrapped the small section that I couldn’t get in the bath in paper towels soaked in Evap o rust, it worked pretty good at getting the surface rust off but not near as well as the bath.
4) I started sanding the small metal sections where I used the paper towels. Started with 220 and went all the way to 500, for some reason it still didn’t come out as good as the Evap o rust.
5) So now I actually got to start the wood, I sanded the wood to get all the old grime off, all of the previous coating had long since vanished so I didn’t feel like I was destroying anything. Anyway I sanded the middle section by hand, 220 and up to 500 cleaned up pretty nice.
6) I noticed when I unscrewed the end cap it had a thread pattern similar to thread on my lathe, low and behold it was close enough that I was able to screw a thread or two on enough to secure it. So I was able to sand it on the lathe which expedited things greatly.
7) For the finishing I left the end piece secured to the lathe so that I could rotate it easily. I finished everything with three coats of Boiled Linseed Oil spread out over a day, this was the first time I used BLO and was very impressed. I then waited 24 hours to make sure it was cured and then used three coats of spray on semigloss lacquer.
I’m pretty happy with the way it came out considering it was the first brace I have restored.
Thanks to Brit for posting such a detailed Blog on his restoration.