LumberJocks

Greene and Greene tool chest. #3: Some ebony!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by lateralus819 posted 06-23-2015 02:05 AM 1122 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Joinery details. Part 3 of Greene and Greene tool chest. series Part 4: Finger details. »

This was the most nerve racking part of the build. Screw up here and its over!

I probably went overboard measuring out the mortises for the pegs but this is turning into a fun project and if it takes me a while so be it. I used a digital caliper to measure the width of the fingers and then halved that, then used the caliper as a scribe to dimple the center. Once all those were done I figured out where I needed a “Fence” to line my hollow chisel up with the center of the dimple.

I then took the bit and ground it down so I could use it for registration. I placed the bits spur into the dimple, slid the chisel over it, placed the chisel firmly on the piece and removed the bit. Then wack it good and a registration is made for later. I did this to all of them. I then went through and drilled the waste to about 1/4”. Then I whacked the chisel home to final depth and made a mark so I could then know where I needed to be for the rest of them.

This process worked pretty well with satisfactory results and I’ll keep it in mind in the future.

I picked up a nice 2” square x 12” length of Ebony from my hardwood supplier.

Off to work to re-saw it as I don’t currently own a Band saw. I set the fence up to shave them off a hair over 3/8” to leave room for planing and a tight fit. I made sure to make extra!

I think the key to dimensioning the plug stock is the jig.

Nothing more than a piece of scrap ply with two pieces milled a smidgen over our desired thickness. Then a hand plane is run across it to dimension.

When it comes to actually making the plugs I used William Ng’ method. I thought a drill press might work better so I tried that but found it created a round swirl pattern on the nose of the plugs. I ended up switching back to the cordless drill.

Do note: Carefuly installing the plugs. While chamfering the edges makes it incredibly fool proof. One needs to account for the amount of force used in setting them. I set a couple a little too low when I was starting it. I’m debating extracting them or not.

If anyone would like clarification of any of the methods mentioned, or pictures for that matter, do not hesitate to ask. I was scarce in the photography department as I hadn’t intended on doing a blog.

Next entry will be the pillowing of the fingers.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com