I was adamant about using a handsaw for doing the joints. With little confidence in my abilities I ended up making a 90 degree guide like the Barron dovetails guides. It worked perfect with my dovetail saw and so happened it would bottom out prior to my line to avoid over cutting the line.
The fingers are done just like dovetails. I cut one then laid it on the end to transfer my lines. I surprisingly nailed everyone with a perfect fit. I laid them out with a divider and ended up with 2 1/4” fingers. Next time I might use a different method for layout. The fingers aren’t all exactly 2 1/4” some vary by a 1/16” others a 64th. Not a huge deal just something to note.
Establishing my baseline for lenth of finger was first done with a block clamped but proved difficult in that it kept inching back and lengthening the fingers. I ended up just using my crosscut sled to do this.
The crosscut sled is pictured underneath the chest. Amazing how easy it was to use that. I could creep right up to my fingers without going to far as to spoil the fitment.
The next series will be the best part. Ebony!