Not a bad day in the shop today….
As I opened up the door to my shop after taking, what seemed to be an eternity, a few days off I gazed at the monstrousities that laid in waiting. Today, however, I took a different approach. I figured I’d focus on just one chest instead of doing the dual-tandem, goat-roap, dysfunctional method. Lets start off with the smaller chest and work our way out.
As a recap, both of these tombs are warped and not even close to square. the tools, materials, and resources I have available to me are inadequate at best. So I make due with what I have. Its sooooooooooooo much fun!
Anyways, I sached my happy feet over to my less daunting, yet still laborous toy chest awaiting my loving hands to shore up some stability. I located some maple scraps that would be suitable to finish the task at hand. Because I can’t use my power saws at my residence, I reluctantly grabbed my carpenter saw and began cutting my boards to spec. After what possibly could’ve been 30 minutes, I finally had a product that fit into the toy chest, firming up the warped sides. Task complete, time to move on to my current nemesis: the linen chest.
Now, surprising to me, things went rather smooth on the linen chest today. Still quite a few boards out of whack, but with a positive can-do attitude I managed to make some decent progress. Because the lid of the linen chest was bowed upwards, I used some leftover trim from the original panelboard to fit into place a border. Not too much trouble. Still had some minor hiccups, but nothing that glue, putty, and 60 grit sandpaper couldn’t handle. However, it looked quite awkward with an extended top, so I put together a bottom frame as well. I even manged to get it all sanded down. Although this was just a preliminary sanding (to see just how much putty I really will need), the chests are coming around.
I’m anxiously awaiting what the next episode has in store for me…....
-- "Today is more like now than it ever was before." -Yogi Berra