LumberJocks

Rockin' Ride

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by kshipp updated 02-06-2009 10:15 AM 6 parts 7630 reads 11 comments total

Part 1: The SketchUp Design

01-12-2009 02:53 AM by kshipp | 3 comments »

Refers to project posted here. I’ve been designing this for almost eight months now. I planned to complete it before I got deployed in June but I got busy with other things and wasn’t able to really start on it before I left. This allowed me to spend a lot more time thinking about the design and refining it while I was in Iraq. I’m currently home for a short leave so I decided the design is locked in and I’m trying to crank this out in about four days. My niece i...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Comments and Suggestions

01-14-2009 02:51 AM by kshipp | 0 comments »

Refers to project posted here. After my initial blog post I got some good suggestions and questions in the comments so I thought I would address those in a blog here. LesB said he thought the rear leg would need more bracing. My dad and I were discussing what we thought the weak point would be and we both also thought it would be the rear leg. I’m using the Kreg Pocket Screw system to assemble this piece and I have four screws from the leg to the seat and two screws from the cross...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Router Work

01-14-2009 06:04 AM by kshipp | 2 comments »

Refers to project posted here. I started this project out with the SketchUp design so I printed full-size templates to make my pieces. My original idea was to use 1/4” hard board as a pattern for a pattern trimming bit. I cut out the hardboard on the scroll saw and then cleaned them up with my spindle sander. I tried to use the pattern bit on a practice dog dish stand with some leftover wood and didn’t have good results. I think my pattern bit is probably not the hig...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Assembly Process

01-15-2009 05:04 AM by kshipp | 0 comments »

Refers to project posted here. I used the Kreg screw system for most of the joinery on this project. This is my second major project (first one here) using this system and I have found them to be very strong. It’s also very quick to join pieces with this system which helped me do this project in only 4 days exclusive of some of the finishing. This was also my first time using the Kreg plugs which I’ve started a forum topic on here. I always get to the end of the build an...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finishing and final assembly

01-15-2009 06:27 AM by kshipp | 2 comments »

Refers to project posted here. The dry fit passed inspection from my quality inspector so it was time to move on to finishing. I disassembled it to three major components and put on Minwax Dark Walnut Stain. Of course I did this on my finishing/pool table. You can see the unstained head sitting on the table also. I installed the handle in the head with glue and two finish nails through the edge to hold it steady. I am using Waterlox Original Medium as a sealer and it’...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Customer Approval

02-06-2009 10:15 AM by kshipp | 4 comments »

EDIT: It seems like these pictures have disappeared somehow. I’ll try to track them down and update this post. As with any project you don’t really know if the customer is going to like it until you deliver it. I think she likes it. She has learned to get onto it like you would get on a Sea Doo. And get off of it by herself too. She still needs a little leg length to be able to push herself around on it. But I think she likes it.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com