The dry fit passed inspection from my quality inspector so it was time to move on to finishing.
I disassembled it to three major components and put on Minwax Dark Walnut Stain. Of course I did this on my finishing/pool table.
You can see the unstained head sitting on the table also. I installed the handle in the head with glue and two finish nails through the edge to hold it steady.
I am using Waterlox Original Medium as a sealer and it’s my first time using it although I have heard a lot about it. I was talking to the woman at the Woodcraft store and she said she had often heard about it also but never used it until recently and she was really impressed. She showed me some coasters she finished with it and I really liked the look. I put one coat of Waterlox on the body of the horse and the rocking base and put the stain on the head and the “neck.”
Once I got to that point I installed the head with the pins and epoxy. Then I clamped the “neck” pieces on to cover the pin holes and add support to the sides of the head.
At this point I had to leave again so I took lots of pictures and my dad promised to finish the rest of the coats of Waterlox. This pictures is with one coat of Waterlox on the main part and only stain on the head.
-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com