Rockin' Ride #4: Assembly Process

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by kshipp posted 01-15-2009 05:04 AM 976 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Router Work Part 4 of Rockin' Ride series Part 5: Finishing and final assembly »

Refers to project posted here.

I used the Kreg screw system for most of the joinery on this project. This is my second major project (first one here) using this system and I have found them to be very strong. It’s also very quick to join pieces with this system which helped me do this project in only 4 days exclusive of some of the finishing. This was also my first time using the Kreg plugs which I’ve started a forum topic on here.

Kreg System

I always get to the end of the build and wish I had taken more pictures during it but what can you do. The picture below shows most of the horse assembled. I got the wheels from Grainger. They have a huge selection of what they call caster wheels and I think they were a few bucks each. The axle is a 1/2” steel shaft with stop nuts on the end. I used a 1/2” core box bit to make a slot for the axle and sandwiched it between two pieces of wood.

Mostly assembled

The next challenging part of the assembly was the rocker base. I had it drawn in SketcUp but I wasn’t exactly sure of the placement of the pieces and figured I would “wing it.” I also had to cut precise slots in the rockers to accept the stop nuts so I didn’t want to machine those until I had most of the horse assembled. As you can see in the picture below, my dad and I sort of assembled it on its side and placed the pieces by sight. This is also when we decided to add some foot boards that are not shown in the SketchUp model.

Rocker Assembly

The head is connected to the front leg with a 1/2” steel shaft that goes through the lazy susan bearing. My other challenge was drilling the holes for that shaft straight and true. I do have a drill press (reviewed here) which helped me out a ton but it was still difficult to get everything aligned correctly. With lots of clamps, some “adjustment taps,” and some reaming I got the holes straight and true.

Drill Press

This next picture is the dry fit of the head. I had already secured the shaft into the front leg.

Dry Fit

I cross-drilled through the shaft in two places and put a 8d nail through. As you can imagine there isn’t a lot of material left when you put a 1/2” hole in a 3/4” board so the side supports on the front feet line up with the shaft. They also cover up the pin holes. For extra security I also put two part epoxy in the shaft hole and holding the pins in. I attached the head using the same method but I didn’t attach it just yet so it would be easier to finish.

Head Pins

Next blog is finishing and attaching the head.

-- Kyle Shipp,

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics