Well today I got the first coat of my mixture of tung oil, blo, and poly. I am posting it here now as done, although I will add one or two more coats of oil in the days to come. This project has been fun to make and I think I’ve been able to successfully come out of it with some new knowledge. Which is always a good thing I suppose. I had a story in my head for this project but I figured I would let each viewer make up their own.
So lets start on the outside.
The overall cabinet
close up of fairy
close up of handle. I turned the handle on the lathe
view of dovetails. oil really highlights the end grain
And then the inside. This is where you can use your imagination and make up a story as to what these fairies are up to. It would be cool if everyone posted their thoughts.
The arch and door
close up of door
door folds down. I used soss hinges for this
Door all the way up on secret compartment. This door is hinged with barrel hinges
So that is it in a nut shell. The marquetry and carvings took a long time, as did the design. I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do with the inside but I think I came up with something unique. I see myself walking into the entry of a large house. I see a beautifully carved archway with columns. Walk through the archway and you enter the den, where under a window sits a chase lounge. Outside the window is beautiful trees with cherry blossoms. The fairies make their own story, so again use your imagination. I want to thank everyone who followed this project and I hope you enjoyed it.
-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~