Well here I am again. Joy to the world. LOL. I am working on the interior of the box and here is where it stands. The parts you see in the pictures are NOT attached in any fashion, in fact I have a piece of scrap pine holding up the back of the shelf that sits on the arch. There will be additions added that will hold this up, but ssshhhhh it’s a secret!
I turned the columns out of wenge to match the handle and the base. Instead of turning a piece and then cutting it in half I took two halves and screwed them together. Turned the column and then unscrewed it. Wha La. I had two columns. I just had to cut the ends off and sand.
The door is obviously maple. And that is the major carving work will take place. I plan on starting that today, and expect it to take a few weeks. So please be patient.
The main point of this blog is the carving on the arch. I drew the flowers and the butterfly free hand basing the design off of the door. Carving padauk turned out to be a little challenging but I enjoyed it. Odie had posted a topic at one point discussing why people don’t put diminsions on their project descriptions, and recommended to at least put a dollar bill next to it. So since I only have a dime to my name that’s what I put there. LOL This should give you a good idea of how small the flowers and butterflies actually are.
Again, everything is just sitting there and will probably fall out if touched the wrong way. I just wanted to get some pics to everyone that is tagging along on this adventure, if anything to show that I am actually working on it still. ;-)
All criticism is welcome.
Pic shown with door
Pic without door (notice the pine holding the shelf up)
Pic of wenge column
Pic of column supporting arch and carving with dime
Close up of carving with dime
Pic of Right carving
Pic of Left carving with flash. It’s amazing how the flash makes the wood look so red.
-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~