Well I was anxious to start the day priming today. I went out to see where I left off and to my surprise EVERYTHING needed sanding. I thought I did a lot of that and was almost done with it. If I had to guess I was thinking I was done with it because I confused it with a job at work or something. To top it off I must have put the crap face in on a few of the pieces. It looked better at the time, but upon closer review the fibers are raised and torn.
To remind you all I’m not usually the painter, and nobody has complained about materials before. I can assure you I will pay the extra money next time for a better grade of ply. I used maple, just shop grade. This is a budget job, but I’ll probably have more time in fixing crap then if I would have just bought better material. So lesson learned and shared. So out came the bondo to do some patchwork. That took forever.
So once everything was bodoed and sanded I set up the airless. Turns out the gasket on the tip was shot so off to the paint store we went. Let me tell you right now, if you want something from Dunn Edwards go far in advance. The wait is rediculous. It’s like the workers busy themselves with things just to put you off. Then when they help you it’s like they don’t know what they are doing. I wanted the simple little rubber washer and had to buy the whole tip. And to find that out he had to go to the back to ask someone, and came back with 0 information. So I told him I just wanted to buy item pointed at and $20 later I had my little rubber gasket. They didn’t have the size I would need of tip, so I still had to use the one I had. So literally $20 for something the size of my pinky nail. Talk about a rip off, and a $40 minute ding in my day.
Anyhow, we carried the cabinets through the house into the back yard, making sure to bang them a few times on the way through. After a little sanding I started priming. I went like a mad man and still didn’t get everything. And it so happens that the primer I had to get takes 2 hours before I can recoat. I had to get the Eco Shield because the homeowners kid has super alergies and could possibly die if he happens to smell wet paint. Whatever, that’s new to me. They didn’t ask for formaldahyde free material so I would assume that would be worse. AANNYHHOWW I finally got the priming done on what was ready by 7 tonight and began the process of banging them off the walls and doors on the way back out to the garage. Yippee, tomorrow I can try to fix the damage and reprime. I’m leaving the center section in the garage this time. Heavy turd. So I put plastic over some tools and put paper on the floor. It should be safe there until we bang it against the homeowners doors and walls while installing. LOL.
-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~