I finally am at the end of this project. It took quite a bit longer then my initial thoughts, which was to just throw something together and call it a day. LOL. So a 5 hour project turned into 15 and I have to say that I’m glad that I took the leap. This gun turned into a cool little project and it requires a lot of different techniques. This gun was made out of 4/4 solid beech. I got to do the things I love. Turning, shaping, carving, and finishing. I had to do the cut out with a jig saw though, however, I spoke with my landlord today and he’s going to send an electrician to hook up some 220 for my Band Saw at no cost to me. It’s very cool of him to do. Of course I will be starting his kitchen within a few months. It’s somewhat apparent that he likes my work. He saw this gun this morning and the first thing he said was “it looks so real!” With a big grin on his face. And that’s what makes my day.
The pattern of the Drake is the only thing I stole. It is a design by Lora S. Irish from her Wildlife in Relief book. Of course I used the internet for inspiration by looking up real shotguns to get a better idea of how it actually looks. I’m not 100% happy with the cocking mechanism because on most shotguns I saw it was rounded. Also the spacing and length of the top and bottom barrels is off. The lower barrel needs to be a lot shorter. Oh well, maybe next time. LOL. The stain is Mohawk ultra penetrating, has a barrier coat of oxford shellac and is finished with oxford waterborne lacquer. I took the liberty of painting the front of the barrels bright orange, safety first I suppose.
Anyhow, it’s been a fun project and now it’s time for the next one. Hhhmmm, what will it be….........
As always I welcome constructive criticism, positive or negative.
-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~