LumberJocks

Guitar Build Progress Report

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by knotscott updated 1423 days ago 6 parts 26578 reads 26 comments total

Part 1: ...early progress

1437 days ago by knotscott | 5 comments »

My oldest son recently asked if I’d build him a solid body electric guitar…. my 2nd guitar project. We agreed on a unique slightly goth shape, green curly maple front, and a black back made from ash. A purchased unfinished Les Paul style neck is on order, which will likely be painted black. The head stock will be shaped to compliment the body…maybe some color compliments too. It’ll be trimmed with gold and black hardware. The pickups will be a GFS Fatbody single neck, ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Updates for 8/17/10

1437 days ago by knotscott | 5 comments »

Here’s where things stand as of noon today. All the parts and hardware are in. Here’s the top with the natural maple revealed on the sides. There’s one coat of spar varnish to protect the stained surface, plus help prevent fading. The back now has black paint. While rounding over the edges, we liked the look of the natural ash revealed as well, so we’ve decided to keep it….got some sanding ahead. Here’s the top and back together next to the unfinis...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Updates for 8/18/10

1437 days ago by knotscott | 4 comments »

Some cosmetic changes took place last night…the two-toned back revealing the natural ash is out, and the back is black again, as planned. It was just too sloppy and detracted. Here’s the painted back, and the top with a couple of clear coats sitting on the back: Today I added a curly maple veneer to the front side of the neck headstock to match the front of the guitar. Here’s the neck with the veneer in place: After receiving black dye: After sanding the black...

Read this entry »


Part 4: August 20th Update

1436 days ago by knotscott | 6 comments »

Here’s today’s update. Adding the shop-made curly maple veneer to the front of the headstock was a little tricky because it’s attached to an existing neck. My plan to rout down the face to accommodate the thickness of the veneer didn’t pan out as planned because the radius on the fretboard made it rock. Instead, I ended up using the flat edge and back of the “paddle blank” as a reference and sliced the cutout on the band saw. Once the veneer was in place an...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Update for 8-29-10

1426 days ago by knotscott | 2 comments »

Here’s the latest for 8/29/10 (the 5th entry in this series): The “final” clear coat has been applied (a couple of times! ...hopefully this is the last). The neck is drilled and the tuners are mounted. The pickups are mounted to their trim rings, and the final electronics scheme is worked out. From here it’s a matter of waiting for the lacquer to cure and deciding how much rubbing out I want to do…the results from the spray can are glossy and smooth in most pl...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Update for 9-1-10

1423 days ago by knotscott | 4 comments »

This is the 6th post in a series about this guitar build. 9-1-10: Well, it’s finally starting to look like a guitar. I spent today mounting the neck and the pickups. It appears that I still need to develop some sort of “string-thru” system for this type of bridge system…a realization I wished I’d had prior to adding a finish, but we’ll figure something. There’s always risk with anything that penetrates the finish at this stage, but it is the back,...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase