Upgrading my shop! #1: Refinishing an old Craftsman jointer and building a stand.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Kevin posted 03-12-2012 03:22 AM 12887 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Upgrading my shop! series Part 2: The Jointer Table is finished »

I’ve been needing to make some additions and upgrades to my small shop for a while. Just a few things I had in mind were a miter saw station, a jointer, a woodworkers bench, and a spindal sander with a workstation for it.

Right now my miter saw is sitting on a 10 foot bench that it shares with a bench top bandsaw and drill press. I want to build a miter saw station not only to move my saw away from other tools but to also have support for boards I’m cutting on either side of the table. I also want a longer fence for accuracy and for setting stop blocks.

Today I started building a table to hold an old Craftsman jointer that my uncle gave me. I wasn’t sure at first if I was going to put the time into fixing the jointer up or not. I had looked at possibly buying a new jointer and I also looked at some used ones, but was a little late in making an offer. I am still probably going to buy a bigger jointer some time, but figured I can use the Craftsman until then. Plus I’m on a limited budget right now. I went out this morning and checked to make sure all the handles and locks worked and that the infeed table moved freely, which everything was ok. Then I soaked the thing down with penetrating oil and began sanding all the rust off. I put a decent amount of work into it, but it turned out pretty good. The table is a little pitted especially the outfeed table, but everything is flat. I put a coat of paint on the sides and the guards, and cleaned up the fence which is cast aluminum. Then I put some paste wax on the table and buffed it out. After all of that I began building a stand for it. All the lumber I used so far was salvaged from old benches and other old lumber that I had. After looking for hidden nails, and a few trips through the planer the lumber looked new again. The legs connect to the top frame with half lap joints. The bottom frame sits in a dado that I cut into the legs.

The first couple pictures show the jointer before I refinished it. The next couple show the jointer after finishing. Then a few picures of the stand so far. I still have to rout a rabbit into the top frame which will hold the plywood that the jointer will be bolted to. I’m also still going to cut feet that the legs will attach to with a dado. The feet will give the stand a little more width and make it more stable. Next I’m going to cut a small piece of plywood that the motor will be attached to with slots cut in the sides, with bolts holding it down to the bottom frame. The slots will allow me to slide the motor until I have the belt tight enough. So far total cost a few bucks for paint and screws. As I get more work done to it I will add more picures and more blogs. Thanks for looking. P.S. Thanks for the jointer Uncle Dan!

Click here to see the 2nd part of this blog!

-- Measure twice, cut once, then sand a whole bunch

2 comments so far

View NormG's profile


6283 posts in 3205 days

#1 posted 03-12-2012 04:15 AM

That is certainly a very old and very good jointer. Nice job on the refurbish and the stand

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View chrisstef's profile


17761 posts in 3208 days

#2 posted 03-12-2012 12:53 PM

way to knock the crust off that bad boy … its lookin good.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics