Well Monday went all wrong from the get go .
Thought I fit the test box previously posted with a pair of leather hinges , marked out the hole location and set up the drill press and all ready to go ,drilled the first hole and then went to drill the second .
Just into the hole I noticed that I was way off with the hole ,reason being ,I had made three pencil marks ,centre and the two outside lines of the hole location .
Well I used the inside line ,now what ,I was ready to scrap the box but put it in a drawer to get it out of my site .
Yesterday afternoon I pulled it out again and looked at the disaster and thought how about rectangular hinges ,so I cut a block to fit the inside of the box to keep it from breaking when I chiseled out two rectangular mortises which where in the right place this time ,I made sure several times .
Next I cut two pieces of my old belt to fit the mortises and also cut two pieces of walnut to fill the mortise a little past flush of the surface .
Glue everything and clamped over night.
This morning I sanded the walnut pieces flush with the box and glued two little larger pieces of walnut over the hinge .
After the glue had set I made a cut down the centre and filed out the cut until I could see the leather ,well the box opens and closes just fine .
The hinges look a little big for my liking but I saved the box .
A little refinishing work and it’s ready to go taking a spot on a shelf somewhere in the house ,just as a reminder in the future .
-- Kiefer / It's all about design and innovation