It has be a while since I posted more and today I made some progress .
I finished the inside veneers and veneered the edges a little while ago but then had to stop on this project due to illness .
Feeling somewhat better the last couple of days I decided to give it a try and made a jig to bend some maple strips .
I found a terrific deal on a heat gun and it worked great bending the strips which I soaked in water for a couple of hours .
I made a pattern using the poster board pattern and transferring it to a piece of HDF ,then I redrew the line to a over bent of about 3/8 ” and fastened a row of blocks to the HDF .
I clamped the strip in the centre and worked my way toward both ends heating the strip until it was pliable and clamped as the bending progressed keeping the strip nice and flat .
The next step was cutting back the veneer and glue the maple strip in place .
Using the strip clamped in place and scoring the veneer as a guide made it simple to get a good fit .
After cleaning out the waste veneer I scraped out all the veneer joints using a laminate cutter which worked great and gave a nice V accent to the joints.
Gluing the maple strips was a breeze just, needed a lot of clamps .
Next is sanding everything flat and making the feet and assembling the base .
That is it for today .
-- Kiefer / It's all about design and innovation