Well it has been some time that I worked on this table but there are things that have priority when you work for a living .
I have installed the outside veneer on both halves of the base and started today with the inside veneer .
The iron seemed the biggest obstacle and as I mentioned previously using a heat gun as a alternative got nixed because of the expense involved .
I designed a round sheet metal base for the iron using some thin sheet metal with steel wool inside to give it a flexibility but could not get the sub base hot enough ,the second design I came up with is made from copper sheet folded into three layers to give it more mass to retain heat and I used fibre glass matting between the bottom and middle layer to give it flexibility .
This worked out well and the inside veneer glued well with this sub base ,it’s a crude looking base but just to test it I did not feel like spending much time on this .
The width of the inside veneer strips had to be reduced to match up the joints along the out side edge to give a individual board effect as the edge will be veneered with individual pieces joining inside and outside veneer strips .
The radius sander I posted in a previous project post works well for sanding the inside and is a good upper body work out
All the veneer joints will be accented with a slight v groove to further enhance the individual board effect which will be done after sanding the veneer flat but before final sanding.