So after the glue up dried on the larger piece, I clamped up the smaller interior piece giving attention to the fit as I did in the previous glue up of the large interior piece.
Here is the piece unclamped. This shows the backside where the template was not seen.
Here is the same piece flipped over with part of the template still showing.
I used a scraper to remove the worst of the glue on the bottom side so it would sit flat on the bandsaw and then starting cutting out the outside shapes. I sawed on the outside of the template line intending to sand it back to the line later.
Here the first piece is shown cut free.
Here is a top and bottom view of the cut free pieces.
I had intended for the hot melt glue to grip little enough that at this point I could easily pry the two layers apart. No luck. It worked on my prototype but I must have used a bit more glue or something. So I went back to my trusty band saw and sawed them apart. Safety rant. Notice I set the guard only as high as I had to in order to make this cut. Setting it way high is an invitation to reduce the number of your fingers.
Here are my 4 pieces laid out now. I will use one set to finish the job and then later as time allows I will use the second set to make another similar cross that will have the colors inversed. Making two sets was the only way I could figure out to make the pieces fit and the bonus is that I get a bit more mileage for my work. If anyone has a better idea of how to do this I would love to hear about it!
Well, that is all for this installment. Next time we will do the exact shaping sanding and begin to hand cut the shiplap joints to assemble the cross. Thanks for following along!
-- Kevin, Blue Springs, MO