My first blog.
I’ve just recently gotten into woodworking and quickly realized that even small projects create a lot of dust. And since I have two little girls in the house and I have asthma, I decided that I couldn’t keep working without some sort of dust collection system.
I don’t have much space, and I didn’t want to spend tons of money, so I decided on the Dust Deputy DIY. It’s pretty basic: Shop-Vac, large plastic bucket (I was going to use a 5-gallon paint bucket but I found a 10, 15 gallon maybe, chlorine bucket from a pool supply store), some 2 inch PVC, a 10 foot flexible hose, some MDF and some small casters so I can move it around.
Here is the finished product:
Here are the results of my first trial run.
This is the dust that I had in a separate bucket that I used for my test:
This is my Shop-Vac before:
Here is the dust going around the Dust Deputy:
Here is the large bucket with all the dust:
And here is the very small amount of dust that made it into the shop-vac:
This was a dry-fit test run, so none of the PVC was sealed and I haven’t tested the seal of the bucket. So with a little tinkering I hope to reduce the amount of dust getting into the shop-vac to nearly nothing.
-- Kevin - Tampa, FL