Hi folks! Just a note on the progress of the electrolysis system that I’ve built in order to restore a few of my grandfather’s old tools. I don’t have any pictures to post just yet, but this has been a pretty amazing process. I can’t compare it to any other process, but it has been very interesting to watch the reaction as it does its magic. It seemed to be the least damaging and toxic/caustic way to go about bringing these tools back into usable condition.
In particular, today I noticed some detail stamped into one of the chisels coming into view, and am completely amazed. What was once a chunk of rust which only revealed my grandfather’s last (admittedly heavy-handed) sharpening attempts via a grinding wheel, is now shiny and distinct in many areas. I can clearly see the size stamp, and an interesting emblem stamped into the top: a diamond with some lines indicating a radiance around it. The diamond design literally revealed itself after about a day of cooking in the electric soup. I’ve taken some specific advice and gone with a low amperage in order to avoid a more violent expulsion of metal, which is supposed to retain more detail but takes longer.
I wish I could separate the metal from the wood and make it completely pristine, but I don’t want to damage anything. After the electrolysis I’ll hit the tang/ferrule area with hand sanding, and then refinish the handle. I’m not sure how strong the metal will still be, but it’s a 5/16” so it won’t see much heavy use.
I’m looking forward to cleaning up various parts of his #26! :)
I intend to document my setup, with some before and after photos, once I have managed to clean these articles up.