LumberJocks

Wedding Clock #6: DISASTER STRIKES!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by kenn posted 05-24-2011 12:19 AM 2358 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Don't Get Mad at Me, The Back Part 6 of Wedding Clock series Part 7: Three "F's" or Disaster Recovery »

I was making great progress on the clock. The wedding is 17 weeks away. My wife commented that she thought it would be done in time today. I headed done to my shop. I’ve been working on the front frame and thought I might be gluing it up today. Here’s a look at the lower rail, nice tight joint. Photobucket
I needed to put the profile on the bottom of that rail. As you may remember from my last post, I am using a huge fortsner bit to establish the curve and then bandsawing out the waste between the holes. So I set up to drill the first hole. Photobucket
Just as I was about to break through the rail, DISASTER! Photobucket
Here’s a look at the pieces moved to the workbench for analysis. Photobucket
This can’t be fixed. What happened? Why did it happened? What am I going to do?

I think that when I set up the bit, I moved the bit into the wood so the center spur would track better than it did on my back frame. That put too much pressure on the wood as the bit exited the wood and was cutting the end grain with virtually no back up strength. I have to make a new rail. Photobucket
I jointed a new piece of wood flat, ran it through he planer to get it to thickness. It’s a pretty good match as far as the other rails go, not as good as my broken one that I cut from the same board. I’ll have to live with it. Plus I am going to profile the bottom of this one before I cut it to length and put the tenons on it. Here’s new clamping set up to drill the hole. Photobucket
Let’s hope this works. Photobucket
It started making noise as the spur exited the rail so I stopped drilling. I’m going to drill the other side now. Photobucket
Now I flipped the rail over and started drilling from the other side. Photobucket
I chickened out and stopped drilling once I had cut a small profile in the backside. I am going to clean this up with my cute little bow saw. Photobucket
That’s better. Now I’ll use a chisel and some rasps to finish this up. Then it is over to the bandsaw to remove the center section, then the table saw to cut this to length. Photobucket
A bit of careful layout and measurement, and I removed most of the waste from the tenons at the table saw. Here’s where I am at now. Photobucket
I now need to clean up the tenons and fit them to the mortises. No more predictions on when I’ll be done, no more over confidence causing bad mojo. Let’s hope this is the worst problem I have to deal with. Next post, I hope, will show the front assembled. Thanks for following along.

-- Every cloud has a silver lining



6 comments so far

View jim C's profile

jim C

1452 posts in 1750 days


#1 posted 05-24-2011 12:39 AM

I think I would have squeezed a sacrificial board to the front of the rail so there was support and also to avoid an interrupted cut. The partial cut on the rail, especially with a large forstner can create vibrations. You don’t want that. Setups need to be very stabile with large bits.

-- When I was a boy, I was told "anyone can be President", now I'm beginning to believe it!

View rance's profile

rance

4132 posts in 1812 days


#2 posted 05-24-2011 12:45 AM

I agree with jim, a backer board would have prevented the problem.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Roper's profile

Roper

1359 posts in 2365 days


#3 posted 05-24-2011 01:11 AM

I would also try a hole hog bit instead of a fortsner, the forstner has a lot of force behind it where as the hole hog has smaller teeth and has less torque.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

View lew's profile

lew

10027 posts in 2407 days


#4 posted 05-24-2011 02:23 AM

Man, Ken, I feel your pain.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View kenn's profile

kenn

788 posts in 2372 days


#5 posted 05-24-2011 04:02 AM

I’m back on track now, got those tenons fitted tonight and I’ll be ready for glue up tomorrow if all goes well. Hopefully I’ll be posting the front a completed soon.

-- Every cloud has a silver lining

View jim C's profile

jim C

1452 posts in 1750 days


#6 posted 05-24-2011 04:10 AM

kenn
Ain’t it amazing how much faster you can make the “replacement” piece?
When I was in Tool & Die, and screwed up a part, it took me half the time to make the replacement. (The bosses never caught on) HA!
Nothing like a little panic to move your butt along.

-- When I was a boy, I was told "anyone can be President", now I'm beginning to believe it!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase