After three trips to two different Home Depots over a week and a half, I think I’ve found enough decent boards for the bench. I ended up with (8) 2×12x12’ and (4) 2×8x12’ boards. I started looking through the 2×12x16’ boards but they were too unmanageable for me to pick through by myself. Most of the 12’ boards had the pith running in the middle of the board. I tried to pick the ones that were clear on both sides of the pith, so I could at least rip two top pieces from the sides. The total cost of the boards was $135. Here they are sandwiched between the cars:
I went through and rough cut the boards. From left to right, they are the top pieces, leg pieces, and stretcher pieces. The scrap is in the back. There was still some nice wood left in the offcuts. There might be enough to make this sawbench/sawhorse combo . I also ended up with a full extra board, but I might need it if any of the pieces behaves badly while drying.
The moisture content of the boards ranges from 9% to 15%. I can probably start working on the drier boards this weekend. It was interesting feeling the difference between the boards. The wet boards are so much heavier and feel cool to the touch. I think I know now how to get a feeling for the moisture content by touch.
I also ordered the hardware (twin screw vise, quick release vise, bench dogs, and hold down) from Lee Valley. The total cost of the hardware was $500. The only other thing I’ll need to buy is the hardwood for the vise chops. I’ll need to stop by a real lumberyard for that.