Not exactly a woodworking project, but will parlay into a workbench project to come. This is an old vise I got from my dad’s shop. I don’t know too much about it, but it says Desmond-Stephan Mfg Co. on the left side and Urbana, Ohio on the right.
I restored it to useable condition and will mount it on my new workbench after building it.
I used an “Electrolytic Rust Removal” process to remove the bulk of the rust. I couldn’t find pure washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) usually called for, but used generic “Oxyclean” stuff which is a mixture of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Percarbonate. This is at the very start of the process, but after a few hours there was a heavy layer of rust-colored bubbles on the surface of the water. It works great!
After rust removal, I did some cleanup and paint removal with a wire brush on an angle grinder and then painted. I put a light oil finish on the handle, a mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and Spar Urethane. I polished the screw and bars with white rouge on a buffing wheel. The final result: