I’m back! … to finish off blogging about my whimsical Summer Intarsia Fun project. After the pressures involved with commission pieces, this very first Intarsia design created especially for ourselves to enjoy … was pure fun!!
I wanted to completely cover the upper portion of wall from mantle to ceiling, and almost as wide as the mantle itself with this Intarsia design. But the largest piece of doorskin wasn’t anywhere near large enough, and so … because my mind skittered here and there with no firm commitment to design (other than size!) ... I had to play around as best I could.
In this particular photo, the side sections of doorskin are glued … and screwed (until set) to 2×4 supports … allowing more width to play with. Then 2×4 supports were glued and screwed in place along the top and bottom, but the width of doorskin there was enough to work without enlarging. It seems rather ‘Mickey Mouse’, but as these photos progress you’ll see some sort of sanity happening. Trust me!!
This project had to end up being wider than taller, and so more rustic planking was stained and glued down to each side of the main work. If you look closely along the top, you’ll see that all those unsightly screws have been removed! Now I was ready to design the next stage of artwork. More leaves and flowers … to depict all the beautiful and wild Mock Orange bushes that abound in this area, giving off their most heavenly scent as spring turns to summer.
Wanting this new design for both sides, I cut through 2 layers ending up with a book match design … then started into shaping. I know what you’re all thinking … this is not true Intarsia!! Well … you have a valid point because all these cut pieces lay on top when finished, rather than cut into the background. However … the challenge still remained!! In fact, I found it more difficult to keep all the many pieces together … and gluing them at last to their backgrounds so everything matched up to perfection wasn’t any piece of cake either!!!
Mock Orange blossoms in bloom … in wood!! Then glued in place, with the help of the (cut background) templates to keep everything in alignment.
What on earth is happening now?!! I’m actually setting up for the next stage of framework. For that I shopped down the beach to beg, borrow … but not steal! some cedar planks left over from dock building.
And … while the framework was in varied stages of preparation … another stage was being worked. Lettering! You’ll have to wait until almost the end to see what will be!
Back to the framework …. Big … Bright … Beautiful! Imagination bursting at the seams!!
And once that was put in place … more framing to make it just the right size! Thank you to whoever invented the brad-nailer!! ... because this project was sizing itself beyond my clamping system!!
Check out the colour!! It doesn’t look so in this photo … but the brad-nail holes were filled and totally hidden once the frame received its 2nd coat of this luscious purple acrylic. In the corner you can see the beginning stages of the final stage! …. well, almost the final stage!!
One more flower to adorn my Intarsia project … the Wild Rose. Another local favorite that shows its superior splender throughout the summer months.
Much thought was put into this particular part because somehow this whole Intarsia art piece has to be attached to our cabin wall … and I wanted it to be semi-permanent in that it will stay in place … but can be removed for repairs, etc. And so I chose these roses to be the corner-pins, putting their centres to good use.
The blank pieces of corner wood (noticed previously) ... 4 in all … were covered with the fabric, and then the rose motif glued in place, with all their exterior edges blackened. In some folk art, black lines are used to add that ‘whimsy-look’ ... my reasoning behind doing so to enhance the whimsical features of this Intarsia design. Those black dots are where I will once again use the brad-nailer to fix the corner sections in place. Then the leaves will be glued to cover. And there’s the centre of each rose … an extra long drywall screw blackened up. The screws will actually be going through thick wooden wall material … but you all know how I panic about heavy things falling off walls!!
Now! Back to the written word!! Much tedious time was spent sanding and shaping these fiddly bits of lettering! Thankfully … in my opinion anyway! ... it was well worth the time spent.
Except … I could have saved myself the trouble of outlining each and every yellow painted letter … because after the fact, it really didn’t show up well once the picture was placed upon the wall!
Down it came again! This time the tops of each letter were blackened so the whole meaning was visible for all to see. Indeed … Cabin Life is Paradise!!!
And now this ‘artistic addition’ has become a fixture within our 34 year old cabin, renovated from the rustic shack we built to the cozy summer home we so love!
I thank you all for reading my blog. I’ve had an enjoyable time ‘chatting’ with my LumberJock buddies, and maybe a few more out there who have had a moment to peek at this. I hope every one of you will have an exciting new year creating to your heart’s content! Until next time … keep knee-deep in sawdust!!
-- Elaine in Duncan