LumberJocks

Queen Size Storage Bed #1: Getting started

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Justin posted 10-24-2017 01:11 PM 570 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Queen Size Storage Bed series Part 2: Trim finished, paint prep »

Diving into a modified version of the Ana White storage bed, which itself is a knock-off of a Pottery Barn bed.

I’ll be using Colombia’s PureBond plywood, as the wife is pregnant with number 2 and we just don’t want to have to think about any potential outgassing. I have not used this brand before.

I’m trying something a little bit new this time. I’ve done CAD models of smaller projects before, but this is my biggest project yet. Rather than my usual mode of disorganized freestyling while half ignoring the plans, this time I’ll be building a complete cut list and cutting all the parts first before moving on to assembly. It all works in CAD, so if I cut accurately it should all go together just fine. I hope.

I recreated the entire bed design in SolidWorks. I modified the plans to utilize the void in the middle by making the two longitudinal sections full depth, at 29 1/2 inches rather than the original 20 inches. This makes for a really deep drawer, but it will be occasional and seasonal storage so that should be fine. This way I was also able to model in the drawers, clearance for slides, etc. and add a few more structural pieces that I think were missing from the original.

The four side drawers are roughly 28 in. long by 25 in. wide, with a height of almost 10 inches. The two foot drawers are just a bit shorter, at 19 deep.

Once I had the design finalized in CAD, I made a complete parts list and input everything into MaxCut. This software is fantastic. MaxCut spit out my full build summary and cost, as well as cutting layouts for every sheet of plywood and every trim board.

Then I went ahead and just followed the plans, cutting all 57 parts carefully.

The boxes went together pretty fast. This is going to be painted, so I used the brad nailer to pin things together with glue. Then came back around and pre-drilled & screwed it all down tight. I used 1-5/8 trim screws, which seemed to work really well. They would countersink on their own with just a pilot hole, while still pulling the joint really tight.

First box came together pretty easy. Two more to follow.

On to building drawers. The parts pile is getting a lot smaller now.

That’s all the boxes and drawers built. I’ve since finished applying all the face trim to the boxes and ordered my slides and pulls. More pics of the trim work coming soon. Hoping to have the whole thing finished in a week or two, we only have 6 weeks left before she has the baby.



2 comments so far

View Justin's profile

Justin

22 posts in 746 days


#1 posted 10-31-2017 06:13 PM

Hardware order arrived last week. Got all the slides installed and drawers mounted. Just need to apply the face frames on the drawer fronts and then we’re on to putty and paint. Had the paint made up at Lowe’s over the weekend. Nothing left now but excuses.

View Justin's profile

Justin

22 posts in 746 days


#2 posted 11-01-2017 12:42 PM

Not a whole lot more to see but here are some progress pics with all the slides & drawers installed. The slides seem to be really nice quality. They are Knape & Voght Tru-Trac brand.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com