LumberJocks

Roubo Inspired Bench #2: Enjoying the winter months with my Beech!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jusfine posted 453 days ago 1123 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: A "slight departure" from the Woodwhisperer Roubo Workbench Build Part 2 of Roubo Inspired Bench series Part 3: Dog Strip, Routing, End caps, plugs »

I have extended the length of the base to make room for more drawers, and also the length of the top to 96” instead of the WW planned 87” since my material was 10’ long and there seemed to be thought at the time that it would be better suited for what I do…

After a lot of planing and thicknessing (those pieces are really awkward and heavy after awhile) I was ready to start with the glue-ups of the top sections.

Most of the beech pieces I had were between 6” and 8” wide, so after ripping them down to about 4 1/4” with the Festool track saw, I had leftover strips.

Not wanting to waste them, I jointed the edges and glued some up which would be laminated between the full size pieces and will never be seen (unless I plane 2” off the top of my bench).

My jointer knives had a small nick in them, and I used the scraping planes to clean up slight ridges left on the beech before gluing up.

Just wanted to throw in a comment on the differences between the Lie Nielson and Veritas Scraping Planes – for some reason I purchased the LN, forgetting I had the Veritas stored in a drawer in the shop.

Both work well, but the thin blade on the Veritas screeched like a 7 year old girl touching a worm, no matter how I adjusted it. I found them both to be easy to handle yet the LN seemed to perform better, maybe because of the heavier blade? There was definitely less noise…

The next step was to orient the grain on the pieces and create the laminated tops.

I did use dominos to assist with alignment, and for the most part my glue-ups were without drama. I used Titebond III and found it to be quite “thick” and it seemed to create slight gaps between some of the pieces. I did use a number of clamps…

After using a different glue (Gorilla white glue) for the later laminated pieces, I did not have any gaps.

Some flattening and the next step is to apply the end caps.

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."



2 comments so far

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

5285 posts in 1224 days


#1 posted 452 days ago

Coming along nicely. Like the idea of laminating the strips and using them in the build.

View jusfine's profile

jusfine

2280 posts in 1552 days


#2 posted 451 days ago

Thanks Shane, I think they would have been wasted had I not used them that way. And if I ever plane my bench down that far, well, it will be time to build another…

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase