The desire for a new workbench was born before Marc began his Roubo build last year, but I can’t say his 2012 videos did not throw more fuel on the fire, as did some of the “Worbench of your Dreams” discussions and topics here.
Personally, I need more space for storage, and it seems to be a waste to me to have an open base, so I decided to build an enclosed base, and in doing so, it caused me some design problems as I began to wander away from the WW plan. The more sites I looked at, the photos of the benches, discussions online, more books, getting so confusing…
I also wanted to incorporate a few of the Greene and Greene design elements which I enjoy so much, so that took me farther yet from the original Roubo.
This last year there have been numerous Roubo benches with an amazing amount of detail shown and explained, I will have a few less explanations and photos than some of the previous buids, but thought some of the differences will be interesting to see.
If you have questions about something I have not covered, please just ask…
I happened upon a hot deal at the wholesaler last fall, and bought a whole lift of 8/4 European steamed beech for a steal of a deal.
Each piece was surface sanded and the edges looked like they had been jointed, but upon close inspection, it had been cut with what looked like a glue-line rip blade – flat and square edges, what more could you ask for?
Since it was winter in Alberta and the temperatures range from +5 to – 40 degrees Celcius, I waited for a warmer day to move some of the lumber into my shop, piled and stickered it, and covered it with a blanket to slow the drastic change in temperature.
After about a week, I removed the blankets and began to work on the base.
I created a solid beech frame to sit on the floor, attached my plywood to it, and once the cabinet is finished will detail the plywood (hiding the edges and fasteners) with some beech trim.
Baltic birch plywood top and layout “story pole”, planning how the “rails” will support the top slabs.
Machining and gluing up the blanks for the legs. Two of the legs will be inside the case, the other two mounted on the face of the base cabinet to allow for easy installation of the leg vise.
The Artistic Photo: Cleaning up some ridges from the jointer blades early one Saturday morning… I guess you had to be there.
Progress: Installation of the two legs inside the cabinet.
Next is machining and laminating the tops.
-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."