I’ve now completed my first mortise and tenon joints. I’ve also put together my first glue-up panels for the nightstand top and bottom shelf. I had a few problems with the mortiser which were easily fixed with some sharp hand chisels. The tenons were fairly easy with the help of a tenoning jig. (I decided to layout each tenon individually to match the mortise it was going in. If I could produce consistent mortises then I think I could batch cut all of the tenons which would make the process a lot quicker.) The glue-ups were fairly straightforward. Some boards, a jointer, a bisuit joiner and plenty of glue. Notice that the edges of the rightmost board in the larger glueup. After getting everything together and laying in the clamps, I realized that one of my joints had shifted. It was too late. The glue had set a bit (and the biscuits had probably swelled up). The panel was made oversize so I could square it up on the table saw. I’ll still be able to get a 20” x 20” panel out of this.
It’s a nice feeling when you finally do something and realize that it’s not as impossible as it might initially seem.
-- Joshua, Olathe, Kansas